What Is an Instagram Proxy?
An Instagram proxy is a proxy server optimized specifically for Instagram. Nowadays, that means two things:
- The IPs are mobile or at least residential. Datacenter Instagram proxies are long past their glory days, and you won’t accomplish much with them.
- The IPs won’t be banned when you start using them. This part is much harder to ensure with peer-to-peer residential proxies, where all users share the same pool. Still, with networks spanning millions of residential IP addresses, the odds are pretty good for you.
Otherwise, Instagram proxies are the same as your regular proxy IPs. You can find them on most sites of proxy providers that offer proxies for sneaker copping, Youtube, Craigslist, and so on.
Why Use Proxies for Instagram
- Manage multiple Instagram accounts – if you or your business needs more than a few Instagram accounts, proxies are a must. Otherwise, Instagram will quickly flag your IP address, and you won’t be able to do much.
- Build a following – this will still include managing multiple Instagram accounts, though you won’t have to put in so much work. Honestly, it isn’t the fairest way to get famous or get some sweet brand deals, but you do you, right?
- Scrape Instagram – Instagram contains a lot of valuable information. You can scrape Instagram hashtags, photos, followers, or even whole profiles. Just keep in mind that Instagram is very against this practice and will go out of its way to stop you.
- Unblock Instagram – If your school, workplace, or country are not big fans of Instagram use, you have an easily accessible solution. While there are other options, like VPNs, Instagram proxies do a great job, too.
Which Types of Proxies for Instagram Work Best
From best to worst:
- Mobile proxies (4G proxies) – Instagram trusts these IP addresses the most: first, because it’s a mobile app; and second, because hundreds of mobile devices share the same IP address. However, mobile proxies are very expensive and hardly sustainable if you need many accounts.
- Residential proxies – both rotating and static residential IPs will do. Rotating proxies will be better for Instagram account creation; static residential IP addresses work well for account management.
- Dedicated proxies – private datacenter proxies dedicated specifically for social media. Cheaper than both mobile or residential, more expensive than shared ones. Not the best choice for Instagram bots, but still useful for running scraper Instagram accounts.
- Shared proxies – don’t use these IP addresses for Instagram. You’ll never be sure if the proxies haven’t been blocked already, and these are still datacenter IPs.
- Free proxies – never use a free proxy for Instagram if you like your data to stay private and secure.
Tips and Tricks to Becoming an Instagram Proxy Master
- Consider your needs. If you only want to run two or three Instagram accounts with your Instagram bot, then maybe you don’t need proxies at all. The same goes for a VPS – they can help you run hundreds of accounts, but you don’t always need one.
- Choose your automation tool. There are many different Instagram bots out there. Jarvee is always a popular pick, but you can also get Followliker, Storyvoter, Ninjagram, or Instagram Story Viewer, to name a few. Instagram automation software is as important, or even more important, than proxies.
- Start slow. If you’re growing Instagram accounts, let them “warm up” for a while before you do anything with them. Then, gradually start increasing the number of follows; you won’t be able to get 400-1000/day anymore, but one to two hundreds is perfectly possible.
- Mind your actions. Don’t run your fake Instagram account round the clock. Instead, use it within a certain timeframe, like 12 hours, because that’s what humans do. Run your accounts in shifts. In the same way, don’t follow, unfollow, or comment at the same time every day – it’s a sure way to get shut down.
- Try things out. Check if your Instagram proxies work with trial Instagram accounts, play around with the settings of your Instagram bot. Get used to the process.
- Don’t stop learning. If you’ve been running multiple Instagram accounts with no issues until now, it doesn’t mean things won’t change. The platform constantly updates its algorithms, and the game starts all over again. You can read forums like MPSocial and BHW to stay up to date with Instagram automation and Instagram bots.
And as always, never settle for bad service.
Frequently Asked Questions About an Instagram Proxy
Is Instagram Automation Still Possible?
Yes, though it’s much harder than it used to be. Marketers still use Instagram automation software, but they have to do things more carefully than before. You will also have to invest into quality proxies and take things slowly. Don’t expect to follow thousands of pages or scrape millions of results per day.
How Can I Get Instagram Proxies?
You can buy Instagram proxies from any of the providers on our list. They should all work well for Instagram automation tasks.
Can I Buy a Private Proxy for Instagram?
Yes and no. Last year Instagram hardened its security, so it’s become very hard to use a private proxy for Instagram bots and scraping software. But certain bots like Jarvee allow you to set up so-called “scraper accounts”. Their whole purpose is to help you gather data (so, relevant profiles or hashtags) for further automation tasks. Some marketers have tried using private proxies with such accounts and got satisfactory results.